Skip to main content

OSU Buildings Histories

Building History

Alpine Photographer Flickr

Built in only six months, Weatherford Hall opened in 1928 as the men's dormitory, housing up to 344 men. Designed by architects John Bennes and Harry Herzog to be part of a dormitory quad, it was the only building from the quad grand plan to actually be built. Weatherford residents were known for their creativity and developed the first intranet on campus (which allowed multiple students to print from the same printer), tapped into the steam pipes in the basement to build a sauna, created lofts in their rooms, and painted their room doors a fanciful assortment of beverage labels, record labels, and abstract art. It was closed in 1994, but thanks to support from Joan and Ken Austin (’53) it underwent a complete renovation, reopening in 2004 as a College of Business living-learning community known as the Austin Entrepreneurship Program (AEP). In 2016, building on the success of AEP and its strong entrepreneurial heritage, the college launched Innovation Nation, a first-year living-learning program for business students in Weatherford, and InnovationX, the college’s emerging Center of Excellence for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. James K. Weatherford, for whom the tower and later the whole building was named, was a prominent defense attorney in the Pacific Northwest. He was part of the third graduating class (1872) and served on the Oregon Agricultural College Board of Regents for many years. Previous location of Poultry Building 1893-1928. The north western wing of Weatherford Hall was called Cauthorn Hall for a short time:https://oregondigital.org/catalog/oregondigital:fx719v82c#page/9/mode/1up

Mention cite of 1918 Poling Hall, and that the different wings had the respective names of Hawley, Buxton, Poling, and Cauthorn for a time.

General Information

Address  
Architect  
Year Built  
Renovations  
Square Footage  
Purpose/Usage

Previous Name(s)  
Namesake

Historic District  
Blueprints  
Maps

Facilities Services Records, 1888-2003. Series XX:  Campus, Farm, and Property Maps, 1899-1990. Campus and Farm Maps: 3-A

Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994

Photographs  

Oregon State University Historical Photographs, 1868-1980

Further Archival Information

Information Forthcoming

Map

Information Forthcoming