Skip to Main Content

OSU Buildings Histories in the Special Collections and Archives Research Center

Building History

A color image of Reed Lodge.

Built on the former site of Hudson Hall - a complex of prefabricated structures erected on campus shortly after World War II to help manage the influx of veterans - Reed Lodge was originally built as a student-managed, cooperative men’s dormitory.

Officially opened in 1954, Reed Lodge served as a men’s co-op until 1976. In that year, the Department of Housing proposed transitioning Reed Lodge from a men's to a women's co-operative dormitory, in an "attempt to comply with Title IX requirements concerning equity between the number of similar units offered to men and women." The Lodge's male residents countered with a proposal to make the lodge co-educational; the cost to renovate the building for co-ed living was cited as one of the reasons for denying that proposal at the time. In 2013, a major interior renovation was completed. Reed Lodge is currently home to the College of Liberal Arts School of Psychological Science.

Reed Lodge is named after Edwin Thomas Reed, the college's Editor of Publications from 1912 until his retirement in 1943.

General Information


2950 SW Jefferson Way, Corvallis, OR 97331


James Gathercoal

Year Built




Square Footage



Co-operative housing

Previous Name(s)



Edwin T. Reed

Historic District



Facilities Services Records, 1888-2010


Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994


Robert W. Henderson Photographic Slides Collection, 1936-1998; Buildings Photographic Collection, 1880-2002

Further Archival Information

SCARC: SCARC's holdings include photographs and university records documenting the history of Reed Lodge.

Oregon Digital: Includes both images and textual materials documenting the history of Reed Lodge.