Skip to main content

OSU Buildings Histories

Building History

Oregon State Facilities

 

Gill Coliseum is the home of the Oregon State men's basketball, women's basketball, gymnastics, wrestling and volleyball teams. The arena's capacity is 9,604 for competitions on Ralph Miller Court, and the building also includes a weight room, equipment center, locker rooms and offices for the athletic department and its teams. Named after the late Amory T. “Slats” Gill, who was Oregon State's head men's basketball coach for 36 years, the coliseum spans more than an acre. When it opened in 1949, it was the second largest suspended arch type structure in the nation, with no internal structural supports to hinder spectator views. Gill Coliseum was recently renovated with improvements totaling more than $3.5 million. This included the creation of the Bud and Maxine Ossey Golf Center, which honors the lifetime contributions and volunteer service of a family who have supported their alma mater through gifts of time and philanthropy for more than 70 consecutive years.

General Information

Address 660 SW 26th St
Architect Jones and Marsh
Year Built 1949
Renovations 2009, 2016, 2018
Square Footage 257,106
Purpose/Usage Athletics Arena

Previous Name(s) N/A
Namesake Amory T. “Slats” Gill, Oregon State's head men's basketball coach for 36 years

Historic District Yes; Historic Contributing Building 
Blueprints Unknown
Maps

Facilities Services Records, 1888-2003. Series XX:  Campus, Farm, and Property Maps, 1899-1990. Campus and Farm Maps: 3-A

Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994

Photographs  

Oregon State University Historical Photographs, 1868-1980

Further Archival Information

Namesake Controversy and ResolutionA team of OSU faculty including researchers, professors, and archivists came together in 2017 to deliberate over several building names that students had called into question due to controversial namesakes. These building names were researched in depth by the Building Names Committee, and resolutions were found for each one. In the case of Gill Coliseum, its name remained the same.

 

SCARC: The Special Collections and Archives Research Center contains several photograph collections, films, personal papers and manuscripts, as well as the Intercollegiate Athletics records, all pertaining to Gill Coliseum. Of note is the Memorabilia Collection, box 27.3.

Oregon Digital: Contains many historic photographs of Gill Coliseum, both inside and out, as well as periodicals pertaining to the building itself and the athletic programs it has housed.

 

 

Map