Skip to Main Content

OSU Buildings Histories in the Special Collections and Archives Research Center

Building History

A black and white image of the Industrial Arts Building, now known as Merryfield Hall.


In 1934, the Mechanic Arts building (present-day Merryfield Hall) was renamed the Industrial Arts building. The central portion of the building was occupied by the offices of the Department of Mechanical Engineering and the Department of Industrial Arts. Also in this central section were a classroom for the machine shop, a general drafting rooms, a reading room, and a recitation room. In the south wing were housed the main woodworking shop, mill room, glue room, finishing laboratory and spray equipment, sheet metal shop, store rooms, and recitation room. Spaces in the east wing included the machine shop, blacksmith's shop, and a store room.

From 1949 to 1960, the Industrial Arts building was the home of the Department of General Engineering, and the Industrial Arts Club made regular use of the space for meetings.

In 1965, the Industrial Arts building was renamed the Production Technology building.

General Information


1600 SW Monroe Ave, Corvallis, OR 97331



Year Built



1935, 1947, 1949, 1958, 1963

Square Footage

~ 22,400


Classrooms, shops, administrative offices

Previous Name(s)

Mechanical / Mechanic Arts building



Historic District



Facilities Services Records, 1888-2010


Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994


Buildings Photographic Collection, 1880-2002; Oregon State University Historical Photographs, 1868-1980; John Garman Photographic Collection, 1894-1966

Further Archival Information

SCARC: SCARC's holdings include photographs and university records documenting the history of the Industrial Arts building.

Oregon Digital: Includes textual materials documenting the history of the Industrial Arts building.