- Borrow & Request
- Meet & Study Here
- Tech & Print
Designed by Albany, Oregon, architect Charles Burggraf and opened in 1902 as Agriculture Hall, it was renamed Science Hall in 1909 (endearingly called the “Chem Shack”), before becoming Education Hall in 1940. OSU alumnus Linus Pauling took chemistry classes and labs, and later taught in this building. It was here that he met his future wife, Ava Helen Miller. The building was extensively renovated in 2012, with exterior seismic upgrades funded by the state, and interior renovations supported by private donors, including a gift from William A. Furman through the Joyce N. Furman Memorial Trust. It was renamed Joyce Collin Furman Hall. A 1965 education alumna, Joyce Collin Furman was a advocate for education and children; today, Furman Hall is the home of the College of Education.
200 SW 15th Street
Previously: School of Agriculture; later, Science Building and Chemistry Department
Currently: College of Education
|Previous Name(s)||Agriculture Hall (1902-1909), Science Hall (1909-1939), Education Hall (1940-2012)|
Joyce Collin Furman (1941-2009): 1965 science education alumna, Joyce Collin Furman was a advocate for education and children. Former Miss Oregon, Furman was a member of the OSU Steering Committee and of the Harris Society, the university's highest donor recognition group.
See Joyce Collin Furman's obituary in the Winter 2010 Oregon Stater
|Historic District||Yes; Historic Contributing Structure|
Facilities Services Records, 1888-2003. Series XX: Campus, Farm, and Property Maps, 1899-1990. Campus and Farm Maps: 3-A
Oregon Digital- Digitized photos of Furman Hall
Oregon State Memorabilia Collection: Box-Folder 30.11: Buildings - Education Hall, 1909-2007:The Memorabilia Collection consists of individual items of historical value such as programs, posters, brochures, clippings, buttons, pennants, stickers, and other ephemera. The Education Hall folder contains original bids and agreements for the construction of Agriculture Hall in 1902, as well as clippings from the Barometer and the Agricultural College Bulletin from 1902. While Burggraf's original blueprints seem to have been lost, detailed descriptions of the plans for each floor can be found in the Barometer clippings. This folder also contains blueprints for John Bennes' 1939 remodel, as well as a rehabilitation study for the building from 2002 by Fletcher, Farr, and Ayotte.
Edwin T. Reed Papers, 1886-1948: Series 6 contains 6 photographs of Joyce Collin Furman Hall (Science Hall) and the surrounding area.
Oregon State University Foundation: Campaign for OSU- Joyce Collin Furman Hall: Contains history of Joyce Collin Furman Hall, facility reports on the building from 2012 and 2013, as well as information about renovations and donations.
OSU Foundation Joyce Collin Furman Hall Renovation Time-Lapse: A nine minute time-lapse showing the renovation of Joyce Collin Furman Hall from 2010-2012.
121 The Valley Library
Corvallis OR 97331–4501