Skip to main content

OSU Buildings Histories

Building History

The Men’s Gymnasium, built in 1915, was designed by John Bennes. The pool and west wing were added in 1920. In addition to its use as a gym, the building was also used for commencement activities until Gill Coliseum opened in late 1949. Today, Langton is home to the exercise and sport science degree program (called Kinesiology now?) within the School of Biological and Population Health Sciences in OSU’s College of Public Health and Human Sciences, and is used for physical education and other classes. The building was renamed Langton Hall in the early 1970s for Clair V. Langton, director of the Division of Health and Physical Education from 1928 to 1964. The bronze sculpture (out front? Designed by whom?) is called “The Runner “ (1920) – it was one of the first pieces of artwork on campus.

Information Forthcoming

General Information

Address  
Architect  
Year Built  
Renovations  
Square Footage  
Purpose/Usage

Previous Name(s)  
Namesake

Historic District  
Blueprints  
Maps

Facilities Services Records, 1888-2003. Series XX:  Campus, Farm, and Property Maps, 1899-1990. Campus and Farm Maps: 3-A

Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994

Photographs  

Oregon State University Historical Photographs, 1868-1980

Further Archival Information

Information Forthcoming

Map

Information Forthcoming