Skip to main content

OSU Buildings Histories

Building History

Systems West Engineers

 

This spot, from 1913 until 1953, was known as "The College Field," where the school played football. The field was later named Bell Field in 1921 to honor John Richard Newton Bell who was an official school mascot, known for tossing his top hat in Mary's River after Civil War victories. Dixon Recreation Center houses two cardio rooms, two weight rooms, two gyms, six racquetball courts, three squash courts, three multipurpose rooms, a 42-foot-tall climbing wall, one-tenth of a mile indoor track, 25-yard pool, a dive well, a hot tub, three sand volleyball courts and the Adventure Leadership Institute. Dixon Recreation Center construction was completed in 1976, with additions in 1993 and 2004. The building is named for Jim and Jeanette Dixon who were long time members of the Department of Physical Education and championed recreational sports. In 2019, a statue was erected in front of Dixon to honor Dick Fosbury, Oregon State graduate and Olympic gold medalist who revolutionized the high jump near the current Dixon building.

General Information

Address 425 SW 26th St
Architect Balzhizer, Rhodes, Smith, Longwood & Morgan Architects
Year Built 1976
Renovations N/A
Square Footage 173,776
Purpose/Usage Recreation Center

Previous Name(s) N/A
Namesake Recreation Center

Historic District No
Blueprints Facilities Services Records (RG 193) I. Architectural Drawings and Plans Individual Structures
Maps

Facilities Services Records, 1888-2003. Series XX:  Campus, Farm, and Property Maps, 1899-1990. Campus and Farm Maps: 3-A

Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994

Photographs  

Oregon State University Historical Photographs, 1868-1980

Further Archival Information

SCARC: The Special Collections and Archives Research Center contains personal papers and manuscripts, as well as the news and communication records which pertain to Dixon Recreation Center. Of note is the Memorabilia Collection, box 26.12, which contains newspaper clippings, promotional brochures, and a 1994 magazine titled "Athletic Business," all with information about Dixon.


Oregon Digital: Contains many historic photographs of Dixon Rec., both inside and out, as well as periodicals pertaining to the building itself.

Map