- Borrow & Request
- Meet & Study Here
- Tech & Print
This spot previously housed the first dormitory on campus called Alpha Hall, and then went on to be used by the pharmacy college. Alpha Hall was later split into two sections, one moved to 23rd and Orchard Street, and the other moved just north of what is now Bexell Hall, and then dismantled in 1922. The location was filled by the Dairy Building in 1912, which was designed by architect John Bennes. This building has been used by the College of Liberal Arts and known as Social Science Hall since 1951. It was renamed Gilkey Hall in 2001 for Gordon Gilkey, chair of the Art Department, and first dean of the College of Liberal Arts. Gilkey is also known worldwide for his printmaking and art collection, and for his efforts to save works of art during World War II. He helped establish the Oregon Arts Commission, the National Endowment for the Arts, and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
|Address||122 SW Waldo Pl|
Previously: Dairy Building. Currently: College of Liberal Arts, classrooms and office space
|Previous Name(s)||Dairy Building (1912-1951), Social Science Hall (1951-2001)|
Gordon Gilkey, chair of the Art Department, and first dean of the College of Liberal Arts
|Historic District||Yes; Historic Contributing Building|
SCARC: The Special Collections and Archives Research Center contains four photograph collections, as well as the Memorabilia Collection, box 27.2, which contains newspaper clippings about Gilkey Hall.
Oregon Digital: Contains many historic photographs of Gilkey Hall, both inside and out, as well as periodicals pertaining to the building itself.
121 The Valley Library
Corvallis OR 97331–4501