Skip to main content

OSU Buildings Histories

Building History

Trobairitz BlogSpot

When Shepard Hall opened in 1909, it was a space for the YMCA and YWCA, as well as other student organizations. Nonetheless, since its original function was to support religious activities the school couldn't fund its construction. The building has also been used for military-related housing and a women’s dorm. In 1919 the second floor was used as a quarantine hospital during the worldwide influenza epidemic. The building was named for Clay Shepard, a 1904 Oregon Agricultural College graduate, who first proposed such a building and raised most of the funds for it before he died in 1906. The university didn’t purchase Shepard until 1940 when the speech and dramatic department moved in, but it was used for vocational education classes as early as 1927.

General Information

Address  
Architect  
Year Built  
Renovations  
Square Footage  
Purpose/Usage

Previous Name(s)  
Namesake

Historic District  
Blueprints  
Maps

Facilities Services Records, 1888-2003. Series XX:  Campus, Farm, and Property Maps, 1899-1990. Campus and Farm Maps: 3-A

Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994

Photographs  

Oregon State University Historical Photographs, 1868-1980

Further Archival Information

Information Forthcoming

Map

Information Forthcoming