Skip to Main Content

OSU Buildings Histories in the Special Collections and Archives Research Center

Building History

A black and white image of the Social Science Hall, now known as Gilkey Hall.

This spot previously housed the first dormitory on campus, Alpha Hall; it was later used by the pharmacy college. Alpha Hall was eventually split into two sections, one moved to 23rd and Orchard Street, and the other moved just north of what is now Bexell Hall and dismantled in 1922. The Dairy Building - designed by architect John Bennes - was built at this location in 1912. This building has been used by the College of Liberal Arts and known as Social Science Hall since 1951. In 2001, it was renamed Gilkey Hall for Gordon Gilkey, chair of the Art Department, and first dean of the College of Liberal Arts. Gilkey is also known worldwide for his printmaking and art collection, and for his efforts to save works of art during World War II. He helped establish the Oregon Arts Commission, the National Endowment for the Arts, and the National Endowment for the Humanities.

General Information


122 SW Waldo Place


John V. Bennes

Year Built



1951, 1980, 1981

Square Footage



Previously: Dairy Building. Currently: College of Liberal Arts, classrooms and office space

Previous Name(s)

Dairy Building


Gordon Gilkey, chair of the Art Department, and first dean of the College of Liberal Arts

Historic District

Yes; Historic Contributing Building


Facilities Services Records, 1888-2010


Facilities Services Records, 1888-2003. Series XX:  Campus, Farm, and Property Maps, 1899-1990. Campus and Farm Maps: 3-A

Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994


Oregon State University Historical Photographs, 1868-1980

Further Archival Information

SCARC: SCARC's holdings include personal papers, oral histories, photographs, and university records documenting the history of Social Science Hall.

Oregon Digital: Includes both images and textual materials documenting the history of the Social Science Hall.