Skip to main content

OSU Buildings Histories

Building History

Oregon Digital

The first residence hall to be named Poling Hall was constructed in 1918 to accommodate
additional male students on campus because of the Specialized Army Training Program. The dorm rooms held from two to six men, and the basement area included a cafeteria. It was
located on the site of what is now Weatherford Hall, and was used as men’s residence hall until
Poling Hall was demolished in the spring of 1928, though a wing of the new Men’s Dormitory
was named Poling Hall. It was named for Dan V. Poling, YMCA secretary at OAC from 1917-
1920. Not to be confused with the current Poling Hall dormitory.