- Borrow & Request
- Meet & Study Here
- Tech & Print
The Chemistry Building opened in 1939 and was the last building designed by architect John Bennes at Oregon State. It was one of two buildings constructed on campus with assistance from the Works Progress Administration, a part of the "New Deal" that employed millions of people to carry out public works projects. This building houses administrative and faculty offices, the chemistry stockroom, and various shops. This 50,000 square-foot building is also the center for research in analytical, inorganic, organic, and physical chemistry. It was named for E. C. Gilbert, who started as a professor at Oregon Agricultural College (now OSU) in 1917 and was chairman of the chemistry department from 1940 to 1956.
|Address||2100 SW Monroe Ave|
Chemistry Research, and office spaces
|Previous Name(s)||Chemistry Building (1939-????)|
E. C. Gilbert, who started as a professor at Oregon Agricultural College (now OSU) in 1917 and was chairman of the chemistry department from 1940 to 1956
|Historic District||Yes; Historic Contributing Building|
SCARC: The Special Collections and Archives Research Center contains three collections pertaining to Gilbert Hall: Memorabilia Collection box 27.1, News and Communication Services Records box 16.2, and the Chemistry Department Records.
Oregon Digital: Contains many historic photographs of Gilber Hall, from its construction in 1938-39 until the present day, as well as periodicals pertaining to the building itself.
121 The Valley Library
Corvallis OR 97331–4501