Skip to main content

OSU Buildings Histories

Building History

OSU Diversity and Cultural Engagement 

This cultural center came about much the same way as many cultural centers around the country: through student protests, sacrifice, relentless determination and struggle. On April 26, 1975, the Black Student Union opened a cultural center to call their own, thanks to the Associated Students of OSU, the OSU Alumni Association, and support from the community. After the official opening in 1975, the BSU Cultural Center's name was changed to the Lonnie B. Harris Black Cultural Center, honoring the first director of the Educational Opportunities Program, who helped increase recruitment and retention of black students at OSU. The current building opened in 2015, built in the same location as the center’s previous home.

General Information

Address  
Architect  
Year Built  
Renovations  
Square Footage  
Purpose/Usage

Previous Name(s)  
Namesake

Historic District  
Blueprints  
Maps

Facilities Services Records, 1888-2003. Series XX:  Campus, Farm, and Property Maps, 1899-1990. Campus and Farm Maps: 3-A

Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994

Photographs  

Oregon State University Historical Photographs, 1868-1980

Further Archival Information

Information Forthcoming

Map

Information Forthcoming