Skip to Main Content

OSU Buildings Histories in the Special Collections and Archives Research Center

Building History

A black and white image of Kidder Hall, now known as Fairbanks Hall.

Built in 1892 as a dormitory for men, Kidder Hall - not to be confused with modern-day Kidder Hall, which sits on the Library quad - was originally known as Cauthorn Hall, named for state Senator and OAC Regent Thomas Cauthorn. Designed by W.D. Pugh, the dorm could accommodate more than 100 students, with amenities including water, steam heat, electric lights, dining room, and a kitchen.

In the 1927, it was renamed Kidder Hall after Ida Kidder, the university’s first professional librarian, and was converted into a classroom building. In 1964, the building was renamed Fairbanks Hall in honor of J. Leo Fairbanks, former head of the Art Department. 

General Information


220 SW 26th Street


W.D. Pugh

Year Built




Square Footage



Previously: Residence Hall; Currently: Classrooms, Office Space, Art Gallery

Previous Name(s)

Cauthorn Hall (1892-1927)


Ida Kidder

Historic District

Yes; Historic Contributing Building




Facilities Services Records, 1888-2003. Series XX:  Campus, Farm, and Property Maps, 1899-1990. Campus and Farm Maps: 3-A

Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994


Oregon State University Historical Photographs, 1868-1980

Further Archival Information

SCARC: The Special Collections and Archives Research Center's holdings include a wide variety of collections documenting the history of Kidder Hall, including film and video, maps, personal papers, photographs, and university records.

Oregon Digital: Contains both photographic and textual materials documenting the history of Kidder Hall, from its origins as Cauthorn Hall, to its multiple renamings.