Skip to main content

OSU Buildings Histories

Building History

This building, designed by John Bennes, was constructed in 1919 as the Horticultural Products Building. It was expanded in 1923. For many years it housed the food technology department which had several variations in the name over the years. After a new food technology building (now Wiegand Hall) opened in 1951, this building housed the farm crops and computer science departments. It is presently named for Warren Hovland, a professor of philosophy and religion from 1949 to 1986.

general information

Address  
Architect  
Year Built 1919
Renovations 1924, 1951
Square Footage  
Purpose/Usage

Previous Name(s) Farm Crops? Horticulture Products? Agricultural Engineering? Natural History?
Namesake

Historic District  
Blueprints  
Maps

Facilities Services Records, 1888-2003. Series XX:  Campus, Farm, and Property Maps, 1899-1990. Campus and Farm Maps: 3-A

Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994

Photographs  

Oregon State University Historical Photographs, 1868-1980

Further Archival Information

Information Forthcoming

Map

Information Forthcoming