Skip to main content

OSU Buildings Histories

Building History

 

Oregon State Department of Animal and Rangeland Sciences

Built in 1972 by architects Morin, Longwood & Edlund, the Horse Center is located on approximately 250 acres just two miles west of campus on Walnut Boulevard. The facilities include indoor and outdoor arenas, a 35-stall main barn, 7-stall staff barn, 5-stall research/foaling barn, turnout pastures and paddocks, hay fields, and a hay barn. Approximately 15 horses are owned by OSU, and other privately owned horses are boarded there by OSU students.

The OSU Horse Center offers classes in Introductory Horse Science, Stable Management, Equine Exercise Physiology, Colt Training, Equine Nutrition, and Equine Reproduction. Approximately 100 students take classes here annually, and a few hundred more participate in the classes that tour the Horse Center or utilize the facility for teaching.

 

General Information

Address  
Architect  
Year Built  
Renovations  
Square Footage  
Purpose/Usage

Previous Name(s)  
Namesake

Historic District  
Blueprints  
Maps

Facilities Services Records, 1888-2003. Series XX:  Campus, Farm, and Property Maps, 1899-1990. Campus and Farm Maps: 3-A

Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994

Photographs  

Oregon State University Historical Photographs, 1868-1980

 

Further Archival Information

https://www.facebook.com/OSUHorseCenter/

Map