Skip to main content

OSU Buildings Histories

Building History

Oregon Digital 

Central Hall was temporary student housing developed to accommodate Oregon State’s rapid
post-war enrollment of veterans. It consisted of housing units that has served as worker
housing at the Vancouver shipyards during WWII. The units were brought to the Oregon State
campus in 1946 and 1947. Central Hall was located where the current
Buxton/Cauthorn/Hawley/Poling quad is located. It was demolished about 1960. The building
had wings named for people (some associated with Oregon State):
Gatch Hall – named for Thomas Gatch, Oregon State’s president from 1897-1907

Peavy Hall – named for George W. Peavy, longtime dean of forestry and OSC’s president, 1932-
1940. Not to be confused with the current Peavy Hall which houses the College of Forestry.
Bennett Hall – origin of name unknown
Jefferson Hall – named for U.S. president Thomas Jefferson