Skip to main content

OSU Buildings Histories

Building History

Wiegand Hall was known as the Food Technology Building when it was built in 1951, and has been the home of the food science and technology department since then. Food processing, canning, freezing, taste testing, and food research took place within the building. The building is named for Ernest H. Wiegand, who in 1919 established Oregon Agricultural College’s horticultural products processing program, the first of its kind in the nation. He served as head of the program and department until 1952. Wiegand is best known for developing the modern process for creating maraschino cherries.

General Information

Address  
Architect  
Year Built  
Renovations  
Square Footage  
Purpose/Usage

Previous Name(s)  
Namesake

Historic District  
Blueprints  
Maps

Facilities Services Records, 1888-2003. Series XX:  Campus, Farm, and Property Maps, 1899-1990. Campus and Farm Maps: 3-A

Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994

Photographs  

Oregon State University Historical Photographs, 1868-1980

Further Archival Information

Information Forthcoming

Map

Information Forthcoming