Skip to Main Content

OSU Buildings Histories in the Special Collections and Archives Research Center

Building History

A black and white image of Apperson Hall, now known as Kearney Hall.


In 1920, a third floor was added to the Mechanical Hall constructed in 1899 (the original Mechanical Hall had been destroyed by fire in 1898). The added space was intended to create of Apperson Hall an exclusive home for electrical engineering (first and third floors), and civil engineering students and the department of physics (first and second floors).

As part of the renovations, this second Mechanical Hall was renamed Apperson Hall, after John T. Apperson (1834-1917) . Apperson served on the Oregon Agricultural College Board of Regents from 1888 to1917, and was president of the Board from 1894 to 1901. Apperson was also a steamboat captain in the 1850s, Clackamas County sheriff, and Oregon legislator who also served as first lieutenant of Company "E" of the Oregon Cavalry during the Civil War.

After a second major renovation in 2009, Apperson Hall was renamed Kearney Hall.

General Information


1491 SW Campus Way


Edgar Lazarus

Year Built

circa 1900


1920, 1963, 1968, 2009

Square Footage




Previous Name(s)

Mechanical Hall (1889-1898), Mechanical Hall (1900-1920)


John T. Apperson

Historic District

Yes; Historic Contributing Structure




Facilities Services Records, 1888-2003. Series XX:  Campus, Farm, and Property Maps, 1899-1990. Campus and Farm Maps

Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994


Oregon State University Historical Photographs, 1868-1980

Further Archival Information

SCARC: SCARC's holdings include audio-visual materials, personal papers, photographs, and university records documenting the history of Apperson Hall.

Oregon Digital: Includes both photographic and textual materials documenting the history of Apperson Hall.