About Arnold Dining Hall:
Arnold Dining hall was constructed in 1972 and remodeled in 2010. The building is named for Benjamin L. Arnold, president of Oregon Agricultural College from 1872-1892.
Facilities Services Records, 1888-2010:
The Facilities Services Records document the physical campus of Oregon State University in Corvallis as well as OSU facilities throughout the state of Oregon beginning with construction of the first building on the current campus in 1888. The records consist predominantly of architectural drawings and files for the design, construction, and modification to structures. For facilities information on Arnold Dining Hall, click here.
*To quickly access files relevant to Arnold Hall, hold down the 'Ctrl + F' keys and search for "Arnold Hall" in the pop-up search bar*
Zbigniew Sikora, Orange Media Network, March 06, 2017
Benjamin Lea Arnold was born October 29, 1839 in Mecklenburg, Virginia. He received his B.S. from Randolph Macon College and taught in North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. After serving in the Confederate army under General Robert E. Lee, Arnold taught at colleges in Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia. Benjamin L. Arnold became the second president of Oregon Agricultural College in 1872 and served in that capacity until his death on January 30, 1892.
Benjamin L. Arnold was a soldier in the Confederate Army: Arnold served in the Confederate Army after receiving his bachelors degree from Randolph Macon College (see Arnold obituary in Arnold the Memorabilia Collection file). A comprehensive and recent accounting of Arnold’s service in the Confederate Army can be found in Randol B. Fletcher’s Hidden History of Civil War Oregon. E526 .F55 2011 Special Collections and Archives History of the Pacific Northwest Collection and Valley Library main stacks.
Collections pertaining to Benjamin L. Arnold:
Benjamin L. Arnold Collection:
The Memorabilia Collection is an artificial collection containing items of interest about Oregon State University and to a lesser extent, the city of Corvallis, and the state of Oregon.
RG 008 Board of Regents Collection:
The Board of Regents Records document the administration, facilities, and curriculum of the Oregon Agricultural College and include correspondence, minutes, financial records, and contracts.
RG 033 Board of Trustees Records:
The Board of Trustees Records document the early years of Corvallis College (now known as Oregon State University) and contain meeting minutes, financial records, and a resolution and circular.
Did Benjamin L. Arnold change school colors from blue and silver to orange?
Corvallis Gazette July 1, 1892 "According to the suggestion of Prof. Bloss, the students of the agricultural college have adopted as their colors orange and black, and all those connected in any way with the institution are easily known by the bow worn on the breast."
Reference to the school color being changed from navy blue to orange by a vote of the faculty on May 2, 1893, fifteen months after Arnold’s death. The student body selected black as a complementary color.
Did Arnold craft the cadet corps uniforms to resemble the Confederate army?
Was Arnold was responsible for the naming of Benton Hall, named after Thomas Hart Benton?