Manage your intellectual property
- Retain certain or all copyrights instead of signing it away.
- Maximizes the reach and impact of your work. Anyone anywhere in the world can read and cite you research.
- Enhance the profile of institutions, researchers, and research programs.
Use alternative forms of publishing
- Disseminate your work using open access platforms.
- Take advantage of managing your journal through the library's publishing platform.
- Enable appropriate access to published works, including primary data and educational resources.
- Quicker dissemination of scholarly information helps propel faster advancements in science and scholarship and equates to more effective research.
Support sustainable scholarly communication
- Wield your influence with publishers.
- Promulgate society publishing best practices.
- Support publishing experiments and new business models.
- Support development infrastructure components, including institutional repositories, which will facilitate open access to scholarly information.
Comply with federal funders' Public Access Mandate requirements
- Benefit by receiving more funding.
- Major research institutions support legislation to public access to publicly funded research.
- Increases returns on funders’ investments.
Use low-cost or free educational resources
- Proven to help improve student retention and success.
- Lowers the financial burden for students thus helping address the student debt problem.
- Create your own educational resources or easily adapt/modify while innovating pedagogy.
The content of this page was written by Librarians at The Claremont Colleges.