Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Social Science/Humanities Sources:
- Contemporary Authors - Ref PS 129 C631
Important "current" biography for literary persons
- Author Biographies Master Index - Ref: PN 452 .A9
Indexes entries in more than 140 biographical dictionaries and directories of writers.
- Index to Artistic Biography - Ref: N 40 .H38
Havlice, Patricia Pate. Index to 64 basic sources of biographical information on artists
- Journalist Biographies Master Index - Ref: PN 4820 .J6
A guide to 90,000 references to historical and contemporary journalists in 200 biographical directories and other sources.
- American Men and Women of Science - Ref Q141 C2 1999
Important "current" biography for scientists.
- Dictionary of Scientific Biography - Ref Q141 D5
Useful "retrospective" biography for scientists
- Oregon Biography Index - Ref: F 875 .B5
Brandt, Patricia and Nancy Guilford. Index to 47 historical volumes containing biographies of Oregonians.
- Oregon Women: A Bio-bibliography - Ref: F 875 .L4
Leasher, Evelyn. Index to 102 books and journals containing biographical information about women of Oregon.
United States Sources:
- Who's Who in America - Ref: E 663 .W48
Contains brief factual information about noted deceased Americans
- Who's Who of American Women - Ref: E 663 .W57
Biographical information on women who have distinguished themselves in business, the fine arts, science, politics, or other areas.
- Regional publications. Contain brief factual information about noted living Americans and Canadians.
- Who's Who in the East - Ref: E 176 .W6
- Who's Who in the Midwest - Ref: F 478 .W5
- Who's Who in the South and South West - Ref: F 208 .W64
- Who's Who in the West - Ref: F 595 .W5
Specific Groups of People
In addition to the biographical sources listed above, there are many specialized biographical works for persons of specific occupations, ethnic groups or nationalities, or historical periods. Ask at the Reference Desk for assistance in locating these books and other biographical sources of information.