*Click on the workshop title or date link to register for a workshop. Registration is encouraged, but not required.
All workshops are in the Autzen classroom on the 2nd floor of the Valley Library, unless otherwise noted.*
Intro to Zotero: A Web-Based Way to Manage Your Citations (Hannah Gascho Rempel)
Monday, October 13, 4:00 - 5:00 p.m., Autzen Classroom
Thursday, November 6, 9:00 - 10:00 a.m., Autzen Classroom
- Learn the basics about this free web-based citation management tool, which you can use to save citations and pdfs, as well as incorporate citations into a Word document. In this session we will cover how to set up a Zotero library, how to put citations into your library, how to use Word to cite as you go, and how to sync Zotero across multiple computers.
Intermediate/Advanced Zotero (Hannah Gascho Rempel)
Monday, October 13, 5:00 - 6:00 p.m., Autzen Classroom
Thursday, November 6, 10:00 - 11:00 a.m., Autzen Classroom
- Learn more advanced features of this free web-based citation management tool. In this session we will cover how to store PDFs in Zotero, how to import and export from EndNote, how to add in more citation styles, how to use Zotero Groups and the options for using Zotero on mobile devices.
Intro to Data Management Workshop (Amanda Whitmire and Maura Valentino)
Tuesday, October 14, 9:00 – 10:30 a.m., **Willamette Classroom (Valley 3622)**
Wednesday, November 12, 4:00 - 5:30 p.m., Autzen Classroom
- Collecting data for your thesis or dissertation? Learn to manage your data effectively and efficiently! This seminar will provide an introduction to capturing, storing, and describing research data throughout the life of the research project and after. This is intended for those researchers who need help with a data management plan or for those who are just beginning a data management plan. The discussion will cover granting agencies’ requirements, how to fulfill them and how it is to the researcher’s advantage to do so.
Basic EndNote Workshop (Uta Hussong-Christian)
Tuesday, October 14, 3:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m., Autzen Classroom
Wednesday, November 5, 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m., Autzen Classroom
- Love the writing but hate formatting those citations? Wrapping up your thesis or dissertation this spring or summer? Learn to use basic but powerful features of the reference management tool, EndNote. In this hands-on workshop, participants will learn to setup an EndNote library, save references and pdfs, automatically create and edit a bibliography, and prepare a document for publishing. This workshop is intended for novice EndNote users and is intentionally slow-paced and very interactive.
Intermediate/Advanced EndNote (Uta Hussong-Christian)
Tuesday, October 14, 4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m., Autzen Classroom
Wednesday, November 5, 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m., Autzen Classroom
- Learn more advanced features of EndNote including searching for full-text articles via EndNote and using your own collection of PDFs to create references. We will address syncing your local EndNote library to EndNote Web for roaming access to your references. This session will also provide an EndNote for iPad demo.
Literature Review Workshop (Hannah Gascho Rempel)
Monday, October 20, 4:00 – 5:30 p.m., Autzen Classroom
Tuesday, October 21, 5:00 - 6:30 p.m.
- Find out what the literature review is and how to get started, how to keep track of sources, searches and new research, and how to use library resources more effectively.
Mendeley (Margaret Mellinger)
Tuesday, October 21, 2:00 - 3:30 p.m., Autzen Classroom
- Learn to use Mendeley a "free reference manager and academic social network that can help you organize your research, collaborate with others online, and discover the latest research."
Intro to Qualtrics - Making Great Surveys (Stefanie Buck)
Wednesday, October 22, 9:00 – 10:30 a.m., Autzen Classroom
Thursday, November 6, 1-2:30 p.m.
- If you are doing program/event assessment or research involving data gathering, then you'll want to learn about Qualtrics. Qualtrics is a powerful survey research tool available to all OSU faculty and students. It's easy, powerful and, best of all, IRB compliant. This session will be an introduction to Qualtrics and will provide you with a basic overview of Qualtrics’ tools including how to create a basic survey and the different survey question types. We will learn about skips and display logic. We will also cover some different options for distributing surveys and getting reports out of Qualtrics.
Advanced Qualtrics (Stefanie Buck)
Wednesday, October 22, 1:00 - 3:00 p.m., Autzen Classroom
Thursday, November 6, 3:00 - 5:00 p.m.
- Learn how to create more sophisticated surveys and data gathering strategies using Qualtrics. We will cover survey flow (branching), piping text, using panels to distribute a survey to a specific group of people, triggers and using libraries to store and reuse questions and surveys. Requirement: Introduction to Qualtrics or significant experience.
NIH and OSU Open Access Policies (Michael Boock)
Tuesday, October 28, 4:00 - 5:00 p.m., Autzen Classroom
- Learn the basic terms and conditions of the NIH public access and OSU open access policies, the deposit requirements for each policy and how to submit your articles.
3D Printing Workshop (Margaret Mellinger)
Thursday, October 30, 5:00 - 6:00 p.m., Autzen Classroom
- Have you been curious about how 3D printing works? If you are a complete beginner and want a dead simple introduction to 3D printing, come to this workshop. We’ll use some simple software to play with existing 3D files, learn what makes a good 3D file and send a 3D file to the Valley Library’s printer. For those of you who know CAD or other modeling software, this is not the workshop for you!
Citations, Downloads, and Altmetrics: Let Open Access Increase the Visibility of Your Research (Hui Zhang)
Wednesday, November 12, 11:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m., Autzen Classroom
All workshops are in the Autzen Classroom on the 2nd floor (main floor) of the Valley Library (unless otherwise noted).
If you have any questions about these workshops, contact Hannah Gascho Rempel at firstname.lastname@example.org.