Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Guide to the Special Collections and Archives Research Center

Publication, Display, and Distribution

SCARC collections include materials in three broad categories:

  • Items in the public domain – These may be used freely and without restrictions.
  • Items for which the copyright is owned by Oregon State University – Please contact SCARC for permission to use.
  • Items for which the copyright holder is an entity other than Oregon State University – It is the responsibility of the user to determine copyright status and seek permission from the rights owner(s) where appropriate.

If an individual or entity intends to use copyrighted material in excess of fair use as determined by U.S. copyright law (title 17, United States Code), it is incumbent upon the user(s) to seek permission from the copyright holder(s) prior to use. Failure to do so may constitute copyright infringement.

SCARC does not assess fees for use of any materials in its holdings or require users to receive permission from SCARC to publish, display or distribute materials whose copyright is held by an entity other than Oregon State University. However, SCARC asks that users seeking to publish, display, or distribute any item from the SCARC holdings notify SCARC using the Notification of Use form. This enables SCARC to collect data necessary for enhancing user access.

SCARC also asks that users accurately attribute the item in a caption, citation, or other appropriate format to the Oregon State University Libraries Special Collections and Archives Research Center. The preferred attribution is “From the [Collection Name], OSU Libraries Special Collections and Archives Research Center.” Guidelines for attribution can also be found on the Notification of Use form.

SCARC can be contacted by email at or by phone at (541) 737-2075.