Skip to main content

OSU Buildings Histories

Nonextant Building History

 

 

 

Harriet's Photograph Collection 

 

  • The original Mechanical Hall was built in 1889 and burned down on September 27th, 1898
  • This building, pictured in ruins below shortly after the fire, housed the armory, printing office, a gymnasium, wood working and iron working departments, and recitation rooms
  • The total damage was reported as $25,000; only two lathes and a few small tools were saved from the flames with an estimated value of $1,500 
  • A new Mechanical Hall was built in 1900, and in 1920, a third floor was added and the name was changed to Apperson HallIn 2009, after a major interior renovation, the name was changed to Kearney Hall. For more information, see the Kearney Hall page

E. E. Wilson Photographic Collection

Oregon State Memorabilia Collection Box-Folder 25.4: Contains some information about the original Mechanical Hall (1889-1898) in the Apperson Hall folder, including an article about the fire from the Gazette Times from September 30th, 1898