Skip to main content

OSU Buildings Histories

Building History

Miranda Grace Crowell, Orange Media Network

The Native American Longhouse (NAL) Eena Haws represents the indigenous people of the Americas and Pacific Islands. The NAL was created out of collective activist efforts of the Native students and the Black Student Union at OSU during the late 1960s. In 1971, the NAL was established and became the first cultural resource center at OSU. It was also the first Native American center on a college campus in Oregon. Starting in 1973 it was housed in a World War II Quonset hut located just north of the current building. The new facility opened in 2013 when the NAL officially added “Eena Haws” to its name, which means “beaver house” in Chinuk Wawa. This was the first of four OSU cultural centers that recently gained beautiful new buildings custom-designed for each group. The initiative got off the ground with a gift from the late Portland philanthropist Joyce Collin Furman ’65.

General Information

Address  
Architect  
Year Built  
Renovations  
Square Footage  
Purpose/Usage

Previous Name(s)  
Namesake

Historic District  
Blueprints  
Maps

Facilities Services Records, 1888-2003. Series XX:  Campus, Farm, and Property Maps, 1899-1990. Campus and Farm Maps: 3-A

Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994

Photographs  

Oregon State University Historical Photographs, 1868-1980

Further Archival Information

Information Forthcoming

Map

Information Forthcoming