Skip to main content

OSU Buildings Histories

Building History

Pence Construction 

Built in 1910 and designed by John Bennes, the Armory was touted as one of the largest in the country. It currently houses the Army and Air Force ROTC programs, plus multi-use courts for basketball, volleyball and badminton, a turf field, rock climbing wall and a classroom managed by Recreational Sports. It was named for Ulysses Grant McAlexander in 1971, commandant of the cadets from 1907 to 1911 and 1915 to 1917. McAlexander was a military hero known as "Rock of the Marne" for his involvement during the 1918 battle in France where his command was greatly outnumbered against German forces. McAlexander's accomplishments are numerous, and he spent his retirement in Oregon. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

General Information

Address  
Architect  
Year Built  
Renovations  
Square Footage  
Purpose/Usage

Previous Name(s)  
Namesake

Historic District  
Blueprints  
Maps

Facilities Services Records, 1888-2003. Series XX:  Campus, Farm, and Property Maps, 1899-1990. Campus and Farm Maps: 3-A

Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994

Photographs  

Oregon State University Historical Photographs, 1868-1980

Further Archival Information

Information Forthcoming

Map

Information Forthcoming